This Curry Tempeh Salad is adapted from a recipe one of my girl friend’s makes when we get together. I have fond memories of her popping open a tupperware brimming with this spicy, sweet mixture, and everyone gathering around the kitchen island to dip, dunk and scoop it onto crackers, bread, and lettuce boats.
I love to make a big batch on Sunday for a week of quick lunches. As the flavors develop, it gets better with each day.
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 green onions
- 2 limes
- 2 blocks of tempeh
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 2 T curry powder
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crackers, whole grain bread, or lettuce leaves
- Rinse and thinly slice celery stalk and green onion.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze out the juice into a container.
- Crumble tempeh with hands or finely chop with a knife.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine crumbled tempeh, canned coconut milk, dried cranberries, curry powder, and salt and pepper. Let warm for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Fold in celery stalks, green onion, and lime juice.
- Refrigerate for an hour, if time allows, to allow flavors to develop.
- Enjoy scooped up with crackers, on toast, or in lettuce wraps.