For some people, a plant-based diet is unfathomable.
People ask: “Eating only plants- don’t your tastebuds get bored?”
We say: “No, plants are actually incredibly tasty.”
People ask: “How in the world do you get full eating only plants?”
We say: “It’s really not a problem.”
People ask: “Don’t you miss things like bacon and cheese smothered fries??”
We say: “No, not really.”
After all, you can’t miss something that isn’t gone.
On our About Page, we told you we didn’t grow up on plants. We grew up on food like the unenlightened offerings at Outback Steakhouse. Their Aussie Fries didn’t stand a chance in the presence of our younger selves.
This is our enlightened version- vegan, healthy, and damn fine proof that plants are freaking rad.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ recipe of Tempeh Bacon (http://planteatersmanifesto.com/tempeh-bacon)
- ¼ cup cashews
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Wash and slice sweet potatoes into matchstick fry shapes (leave skin on)
- Place sweet potato fries on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss until well-coated. Arrange in a single layer on the pan (this is the key to crispy fries!)
- Bake for 12 minutes, flip, turn oven up to 450F, and bake for another 10-12 minutes until browned and crisp on the outside.
- While fries are baking, combine all Cashew Garlic Aioli ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place fries on a plate, top with tempeh bacon and drizzle with aioli. Garnish with chopped green onion if desired.