When it comes to buffalo sauce, the actual food is really just a vessel for delivering buffalo flavor to our taste buds. While most choose chicken wings, my meaty vessel of choice was always a buffalo chicken sandwich.
Kayli and I were passing through Nashville last week and stopped by Wild Cow. When I opened the menu, my eyes landed on the buffalo tofu grinder. Just like old times, except without the chicken. Where did her eyes land? The vegan nachos… I picked a winner, that wife of mine. We ordered both of course.
This weekend we’re re-creating that wonderful feast with our Nacho Salad and this Buffalo Tofu Sandwich. Enjoy.
- 1 block firm tofu
- ¾ cup hot sauce
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- bread of choice
- sandwich fixins
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Wrap block of tofu in 4 or 5 layers of paper towels and press to remove moisture
- Slice tofu into 4 slabs
- Put tofu on a lightly-oiled cooking sheet and bake, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and just crisp, about 40 minutes total
- While tofu is cooking, add all sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
- Note: you will have leftover sauce.
- Put sauce in a bowl and toss baked tofu slabs in the sauce until well-coated
- Assemble sandwich with your favorite fixins!
Our bi-monthly email is your guide to plant-based eating. Sign up!