I’ve always had a thing for cornbread.
Growing up on A LOT of restaurant food, I remember feeling so torn at Cracker Barrel when I had to choose “biscuit” or “corn muffin”. Those muffins glistened on the outside- a sign of a generous amount of butter in the recipe. At one of my favorite cafes in St. Louis, I also choose cornbread every time. Their version is super sweet like a dense, rich hunk of cake- a sign of a hefty amount of sugar. I literally save it for after my meal and eat it like dessert.
Neither of those restaurant versions should be everyday staples. On the other hand, I strongly encourage you to make THESE vegan corn muffins an everyday staple. These beauties are made of 9 simple ingredients- none of them oil or added sugar. These vegan corn muffins are subtly sweet and quite magical dunked in Simple Black Bean Soup or Three Bean Veggie Chili. Whip them up in under 30 minutes.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners (or a light coating of oil).
- Prepare flax egg: in a small bowl, mix ground flaxseed with water. Set aside to thicken.
- Prepare 'buttermilk': add apple cider vinegar to milk. Set aside to thicken.
- In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add applesauce, flax egg, and 'buttermilk'. Gently mix just until all dry ingredients are incorporated and no dry clumps remain.
- Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.