Sometimes (a lot of the time) we have carnivores over for dinner.
Do we compromise our values for these meat-lovers? Nope.
We feed them one of our gateway meals- a plant-based meal that is so incredible they don’t even realize it’s meatless. I think these “gateway meals” deserve a post of their own, but a few of our favorites: vegan pizza, veggies burgers, and falafel. Not just any falafel- SWEET POTATO falafel.
Crispy on the outside and soft and sweet at the center, these will win over even the most convicted meat eaters. Serve in pillowy pita pocket or crunchy lettuce wraps topped with Lemon-Tahini Sauce and tomato-cucumber salsa.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ red onion
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (about 1 large sweet potato)
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (plus more for coating)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the onion and garlic until finely chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until a well-combined dough forms.
- Pour remaining breadcrumbs into a bowl. Scoop about ¼ cup of dough and roll into a ball. Roll each ball in the breadcrumbs. Repeat to make about 12-13 balls.
- Place coated falafel balls on the lined sheet pan. Using the palm of your hand, slightly flatten each ball.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping once after 15 minutes.