This savory vegan Ramen has quickly become a staple at our house. It’s an umami bomb thanks to a mix of mushrooms, soy sauce, miso paste, and toasty tahini. It’s so good, we usually double or triple the recipe and eat it several times in the same week. Enjoy!
- 4 cups water
- ½ pack (0.5 oz.) dried shiitake mushrooms (see notes)
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 onion
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 4 carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 2-3 baby bok choy
- 16 oz. cremini or button mushrooms (pre-sliced if you can find them!)
- 4 servings (2 blocks) ramen noodles (see notes)
- 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- dulse flakes
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, bring water and dried mushrooms to a simmer. let simmer while you prep other ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Drain tofu, press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture, then cut into bite-size cubes. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or Silpat, and arrange cubes in a single layer. Bake until the tofu begins to firm up and brown, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Peel and dice onion. Cut broccoli crowns, carrots, and celery into bite-size pieces. Trim the ends off the bok choy, chop into small pieces, and rinse thoroughly in a colander under cool water to remove any dirt and grit. If your mushrooms are not pre-sliced, rinse gently and slice.
- Add prepared vegetables to the soup pot along with soy sauce and ginger. Bring back up to a simmer, and let simmer until vegetables wilt down and become tender.
- While soup simmers, cook ramen according to directions on package.
- When vegetables are tender, reduce heat and stir in miso paste. Stir frequently until miso paste dissolves.
- Serve soup with a handful of tofu cubes, and serving of ramen, and desired toppings. (HIGHLY recommend a heaping drizzle of tahini!)
Dried Mushrooms: I use a brand similar to this.
Ramen: I use this kind because it’s made from whole grains. (The pack I linked to contains 24 servings!)