On Wednesday I hosted the first seasonal Plant-based Supper Club. It was a magical summer evening on the rooftop deck. Some of the coolest people I know gathered together to share good conversation, cocktails, and plant-based grub. Such fun!
T H E M E N U
PB&J with a twist
Sunflower seed romesco, caramelized onion jelly, whole-wheat pita
Grilled watermelon salad with garden herbs
Local peach BBQ jackfruit sandwich with vinegar slaw
Okra bean fritters with local blueberry-habanero hot sauce
Garden mint mojito boozy pops
Urban Apron vegan cookies (trailmix + dark chocolate chunk)
- 1 watermelon, rind removed and sliced into triangles
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 6 lemon wedges
- Cracked pepper (optional)
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. (or heat outdoor grill over medium-high)
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, rosemary, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Set half the watermelon triangles aside (they will be added to the salad raw; the other half will be grilled).
- Working in batches, toss the remaining watermelon triangles in the marinade and place on the hot grill pan. Grill until a slight "crust" and char marks form on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Using tongs, remove grilled melon and place on a platter. Repeat until half the watermelon is grilled.(the melon will soften a lot as it grills, so I chose to grill only one side to prevent it from getting too flimsy).
- Arrange melon triangles on 6 plates, alternating between grilled and raw triangles. Garnish with basil, cilantro and cracked pepper, and serve with a lemon wedge to squeeze over the salad.
Stay tuned for the Peach BBQ Jackfruit recipe!
Wanna know about the next pop-up? Sign up for our newsletter!