Welcome to our guide to snacking on a plant-based diet. Want more like this? Check out all of our guides.
Snacks fill in nutrition gaps
It can be hard to pack all your nutrition needs into your three main meals. Choosing healthy, plant-based snacks also helps crowd out stereotypical junk food snacks. Leaving too much space between meals makes you vulnerable to breakroom donuts and midnight ice cream.
Snacks help you avoid getting “hangry”
Hunger is sort like being drunk- it impairs your your good judgement and willpower, and often leads to bad decisions. We’ve all been there… Between-meal snacks give you a fighting chance against the tortilla chip bag while you make dinner, and they help keep morale high for your plant eating endeavors.
Snacks add calories
Plants are packed with nutrients, yet light on calories. If you want to lose or maintain weight, this is good news. BUT if you’re really active or want to gain weight, this lack of calories might tempt you to return to your slow-digesting, calorie-packed, meat-eating ways. The key to feeling full and satisfied on a plant-based diet is snacking.
The number of snacks you eat depends on many things…
including your health goals and daily routine. Think about the times in your day when you are most hungry (either between meals or approaching meals)- that’s where you want to plug in your snacks.
snacks in no time
- Apple or banana + nut butter
- Unsalted nuts
- Unsalted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- Store-bought trail mix
- Popcorn made in an air-popper, microwaveable bag, or store-bought (Boom Chicka Pop, Newman’s Own, Quinn, Bearitos)
- Packaged energy bars: Larabar or PRObar
- Edamame (in pods- more fun to eat!)
- Grab-n-go veggie bags (baby carrots, snap peas, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, celery)
- Instant oatmeal packet + dried fruit
- Food For Life Ezekiel bread spread with avocado
- Food For Life Ezekiel tortilla/whole wheat tortilla/corn tortilla + hummus
- Speedy guacamole (smashed avocado + salsa) + baked tortilla chips (Guiltless Gourmet, Tostitos baked)
- Frozen banana slices + nut butter
- Crackers (Wasa, Edward & Sons brown rice crackers, Mary’s Gone Crackers, Whole Foods Market woven wheats) + hummus
- Crackers + peanut butter
- Brown rice cakes (Lundberg brand) + peanut butter
- Brown rice cakes + hummus