I despise the deprivation mindset that dominate this time of year.
Deprivation is dangerous. It grows from a place of “I’m not enough”. It sets you up to feel unfulfilled and punished. Not good. Since an estimated 73% of us tend to give up on our resolutions, I think we need a new approach.
This year we are all about self-care- giving ourselves exactly what we need to feel balanced, happy, and, yes, even fulfilled. Just because you have 2016 intentions to improve your health in some way does not mean you have to feel deprived to achieve it. We recommend starting from a place of self-care. What can you do this year to take care of yourself?
We also recommend starting 2016 with this rich, creamy, chocolatey Cocoa-Avocado Mousse. We kicked off 2015 with chocolate too… seems like a pretty rad tradition us.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dates, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Fruit, for garnish (pomegranate seeds, berries, banana slices, apple chunks)
- Put the almond milk, avocados, cashews, cocoa, dates, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt into your blender and puree on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides with a spatula.
- Transfer the pudding to glasses, ramekins, or jars and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- To serve, top each mousse with fruit.