The conversation is playing over and over in my head. We were in a taxi on our way back to the airport in Costa Rica. Our driver, Randall, asked us if we enjoyed the local food. Boy, did we. When I told him how much we loved his beloved Casado, the fresh mangos, and el Cerveza Imperial, he was beaming with pride.
Now we're back home and the mangos don't taste quite the same, but we've done our best to make Randall proud of this PEM-style Veggie Casado. Enjoy!
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- 2 cups Kale
- 1 cup Mango salsa
- 1 Avocado
- 2 cans Black beans
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- Pepper to taste
- Cayenne to taste
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cut sweet potatoes
insmall cubes. Place cubes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 30-40 min.
- Add brown rice to a pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Simmer until tender and liquid
- In a microwave-safe bowl or small saucepan, combine black beans, ½ lime juice, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder,
pepperand cayenne. Heat in microwave or on stovetopuntil warmed. As beans are warming, mash beans a little bit with a fork.
- Rinse kale and chop leaves very finely (you can also use pre-washed baby kale!). Squeeze
other halfof lime juice over kale and massage citrus juice into the leaves.
- On a plate, arrange brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes, kale salad, black beans, and salsa.