Creamy Tofu Pesto
If I've learned one thing while teaching people plant-based cooking skills, it is this: people are terrified of cooking tofu.
There is a little learning curve to preparing tofu well (like most things), but it is easy to get the hang of. If you are skeptical, then start with this recipe: Creamy Tofu Pesto. It employs one of my plant-based cooking rules of thumb: when you aren't sure what to do with it, throw it in a blender.
Tofu lends an incredible thickness and creaminess to sauces (and smoothies), and there are no special culinary skills required aside from a working knowledge of blender operation. Serve over whole grain pasta or spiralized zucchini noodles for an extra light and fresh summer supper.
- 1 block firm tofu, drained
- 2 cups herbs (I used basil and oregano)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toss with hot, cooked pasta or spiraled zucchini noodles.
- For extra crunch, top with toasted nuts or seeds.