Vegan Nacho Salad
Vegan nachos are our thing.
Everybody has that “thing” they scan restaurant menus for, that “thing” they consider themselves a connoisseur of, that “thing” that is their go-to. For us, that thing is vegan nachos. If you have vegan nachos on the menu, you have our hearts.
Our favorite vegan nachos are from Karyn's Cooked in Chicago. They are heavenly and we dominate them.
The funny thing about “things” is that you rarely make them at home. “Things” are almost always reserved for restaurant dining. And maybe that's for the best because “things” are rarely garden salads and almost always nachos or slingers or loaded potato skins. Today that all changes.
Life's too short to wait for someone else to master your favorites. Master them yourself. And how do you make your “thing” an every day, feel-good option? Morph it into a salad, of course.
Behold: Vegan Nacho Salad with Cheesy Dressing – what dreams are made of.
- ¼ cup raw cashew
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Green onions, about 4 sprigs, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into halves
- ½ avocado, peeled and sliced
- Baked tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips for serving (see note)
- Pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the salads, fill each of 4 bowls with:
- cups romaine lettuce
- /2 cup black beans
- /2 cup brown rice
- chopped green onion
- /4 cup cherry tomato slices
- /8 sliced avocado
- Top with ¼ cup dressing and serve with tortilla chips.