I once had an authentic Philly cheese steak in South Philadephia. It was incredible… but the timing was questionable. It was the night before a college soccer game. Nice pregame meal, eh?
This version brings the healthy along with the tasty.
- 6 large portobella mushrooms
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- ⅓ cup liquid smoke
- ½ cup fresh herbs (mix of equal parts rosemary, oregano, thyme)
- ¼ cup olive oil plus two tablespoons
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
- salt & pepper
- Remove mushroom stems and slice caps into small strips
- In a large mixing bowl combine mushrooms strips, olive oil, liquid smoke, and herbs.
- Stir until mixed together and let sit for 1 hour
- Make the "cheese": combine the lemon juice, cashews, water, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the onions in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook, stirring infrequently, until the onions are dry and almost sticking to the pan, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2T olive oil and a pinch of salt and turn the heat down to medium low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned and starting to melt.
- Set the cooked onions aside.
- Reuse the same skillet and return to medium heat. Pour in the mushrooms from the mixing bowl. You may need to do this in two batches if your skillet is too small to hold all the mushrooms. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms lose most of their water and start to char.
- Add in the peppers for 3-4 minutes at the end to lightly saute them.
- Combine mushrooms & peppers, sauce, and onions in a tortilla to create your wrap.
Stay informed and inspired with our bi-monthly newsletter. Sign up!