A festive holiday table is hardly festive enough without a cheese plate. Whether you dig expensive, oozing stinky cheeses or (like me) retro almond-encrusted cheeseballs, I’d bet there’s a cheese plate of sorts stored somewhere in your holiday memories.
Today we are resurrecting that memory and veganizing it. Whoever said you have to go without? This spreadable vegan cheese wheel pairs beautifully with whole grain crackers, toasts, dried fruit, and nuts. Blow your friends and family’s minds with this lovely vegan cheese plate.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- pinch of salt
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup minced chives
- Assorted crackers, fruit, and nuts
- Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain and rinse.
- In a blender or food processor, combine soaked cashews and the remaining ingredients. Blend until completely smooth. You will likely have to stop and scrape down the sides repeatedly during blending. The goal is to add as little water as possible to aid in blending. The more water you add, the softer your cheese wheel will be.
- Transfer blended mixture into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow it to firm up.
- When mixture is firm, press it into a ring mold. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Gently remove ring mold. Press minced chives onto the sides of the cheese wheel. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Check out or Plant-Based Holiday Survival Guide!