Last June we kicked off our married life in Coronado, California near San Diego. This town has our
hearts stomachs. They specialize in all our favorites– craft beer, veg burgers, sweet potato fries, aioli, pizza, and tacos. Oh, the tacos…
In SD, “Taco Tuesday” is a thing. On the Tuesday we were there, as soon as any native discovered we were visitors, they bombarded us with at least five restaurant recommendations to celebrate “Taco Tuesday”. This is our kind of city- one with a weekly holiday to celebrate one of the best meals ever invented. And celebrate, we did. This year, Cinco de Mayo falls on Tuesday, so we’re celebrating like our SoCal friends and deeming it Taco Tuesday- with a creative twist. Thai Tempeh Tacos with Sweet Potatoes and Pickled Cabbage. (I’ll resist the urge to call it “Thai Taco Tuesday” or “Cinco de Thai-yo”)
These Thai Tacos are tangy, sweet, sour and crunchy. They are so good, you’ll want to celebrate Taco Tuesday every week.
And the beautiful thing about these tacos? Everything can be made in advance. DO NOT let this meal intimidate you- it’s actually pretty simple and oh so worth it. Make the the Quick-pickled Cabbage and Peanut Sauce today. Roast the tempeh and sweet potatoes tomorrow. Throw everything in a tortilla on Tuesday.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ~3/4# purple cabbage (about ½ a medium head)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 block of tempeh
- Canola oil or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 corn tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Crushed peanuts
- Green onions
- Crushed red pepper
- Optional Quick-pickled Cabbage: combine all ingredients except cabbage in a saucepan and heat until liquid begins to simmer. Thinly slice cabbage and place in a bowl. Pour hot liquid over shredded cabbage and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Dice sweet potatoes and tempeh into bite-sized pieces. Toss with a drizzle of oil. salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Combine sauce ingredients and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir mixture until a smooth sauce forms, adding water a tablespoon at a time until it reaches a thin, potable consistency.
- In a large bowl, toss roasted sweet potatoes and tempeh with the peanut sauce.
- Pile tempeh-sweet potato mixture into tortillas and top with Quick-pickled Cabbage and other optional ingredients.
Have you tried one of our recipes? Please visit the post and rate it!
We love seeing your plant-based creations- tag your posts with #planteatersmanifesto and see them appear on our new social page!