If you subscribe to our bi-monthly email, you know we just got back from a week away (if you don’t, sign up at the bottom of this post). Translation: we started the week with an empty fridge and no meal plan. Chickpea Salad (a vegan play on chicken salad) is the perfect make-ahead lunch. It’s simple enough to throw together on a weeknight, it lends itself well to making in bulk, and the flavors only get better over time.
This Avocado Chickpea Salad is inspired by the California BLT sandwich- smoky flavor, crunchy lettuce and celery, sweet tomatoes, and creamy avocado. Serve scooped on top toasted whole grain bread or loaded into crispy lettuce boats.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 avocados, sliced and scooped out of the skin
- 1.5 cups chopped celery
- 1.5 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mash chickpeas and avocados with a fork until well-incorporated and only a few whole chickpeas remain. (Alternatively, pulse in a food processor and scoop into a large bowl.)
- Add remaining ingredients to chickpea-avocado mixture and stir until combined. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Refrigerate for up to one week. Serve as a filling for sandwiches, wraps, or lettuce wraps.